With a new year upon us, take advantage of the time to reflect on where you are in your life. Think back of all that you have accomplished. Many of us tend to dwell on what we haven’t done yet or wished we could have. Here’s one way to think of some great things you have accomplished:
- Look through your resume. When reviewing it, there’s a good chance you’ve done quite a bit through the years. When I was laid off and had to start over, I reviewed my resume and it made me realize that I have accomplished some things!
- Your personal life. Whether you are married, single, with or without children, you likely have a few friends or relationships with some great memories. Think back on the great times.
- Allow yourself 10-15 minutes of negative per day and that’s it. We all have stuff. The important thing is to not let it eat up your day. Give yourself 10-15 minutes of it and then that’s it. Life is too short.
- Move forward but live in the present. We can only be at one place at one time. Savor the moment you are in. Too often we are looking back and looking forward that before we know it, time has slipped by.
- Smile. No matter how bad things are, there is a bright spot-truly there is. The simple act of smiling can release chemicals that create for a sense of calm within.
- Act like a kid once in a while. Why should they be able to be so free spirited? Let’s learn from them and have a ball with the simple things.