By Susan M. Piergeorge, MS, RDN, Nutritionist
Susan’s Baby Boomer Banana Split
Who says a banana split can’t be nutritious? Many Baby Boomers are mindful of what they eat and this can fit the bill. This recipe has protein, calcium and probiotics from the yogurt, potassium, fiber and prebiotics from the banana, healthy fats from the chocolate, avocado and nuts. A great dessert (or breakfast!)
Makes 1 serving
1 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon Chocolate Avocado Ganache (recipe below)
1 Tablespoon chopped nuts
- Place yogurt in bowl. Stir in chocolate until well blended.
- Slice banana and add to mixture.
- Top with chopped almonds (or other nuts).
Option: Sprinkle with cinnamon
Nutrition Information: 320 calories, 24 grams protein, 42 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fat, 90 mg sodium, 461 mg potassium, 28 grams sugar (26 grams naturally occurring in yogurt and banana), 5 grams dietary fiber
Chocolate Avocado Ganache
Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
5 ounces dark Chocolate (60-70%) (cut into pieces)
1 Avocado (peeled and diced)
Optional for garnish
- In top of double boiler, melt chocolate over medium heat. Let cool slightly. Alternatively, if you do not have a double boiler, add chocolate to a metal bowl placed over a saucepan filled about 1/3 with water and heat water to medium heat and allow chocolate to melt while stirring occasionally.
- In food processor, blend chocolate with avocado with chocolate until smooth.
- Remove and place in bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 1-2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and with a small melon ball size scoop or large Tablespoon, scoop mixture onto serving plate.
- Garnish with mint leaves and/or berries.
Nutrition Per Tablespoon: 60 calories, 1 grams protein, 5 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fat, 2 gram saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 mg sodium, 39 mg potassium, 2 grams sugar, 1 gram dietary fiber