In the summer we enjoy the bounty a garden brings. The fruits, vegetables and flowers all just blend together for a beautiful display as well as pleasing our palate.
While many fruits and vegetables do start off as flowers, there are a number of edible flowers with nutrition benefits to consider adding to your garden. A few include:
- Chive blossoms are a member of the allium family, which include garlic and onions. They contain vitamin C, sulfur and iron.
- Society garlic is also a member of the allium family (onions and garlic are actually in the lily family) but different genus. Society garlic flowers add wonderful flavor and color to salads and appetizers.
- Rose petals contain antioxidants, along with vitamins A, B3, C and E.
- Nasturtiums possess the powerful antioxidants lycopene (associated with decreased risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer) and lutein (associated with eye health).
- Dandelions are loaded with nutrition in that they are an ally to the liver in helping with detoxification. They also contain antioxidants, such as beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, along with vitamins C and E, and a number of B vitamins.
At the Golden Door, we utilize these and a number of other edible flowers, fruits and vegetables our incredible garden and property provides to give you a colorful, flavorful, nutritious dining experience!
For a more extensive list click here